Rendering of the Mimico GO Transit Station (source: Metrolinx)
The province of Ontario has signed a non-binding Letter of Intent with Vandyk Group of Companies and now Metrolinx and Vandyk will negotiate the construction of a new Mimico GO Transit Station.
According to a Government of Ontario media release, “allowing developers to build above transit stations in exchange for constructing new station facilities reduces the cost of transit expansion projects to taxpayers and creates mixed use communities at our stations.”
“We are cutting red tape and working with businesses to build new transit,” said Steve Clark, Ontario’s minister of municipal affairs and housing. “Transit Oriented Development in major cities around the world are proven to increase ridership and make life easier for transit users by building vibrant communities around existing transit lines.”
The upgraded Mimico GO station will include:
- a new station building
- two new east and west tunnels with elevator and stair access to platform level
- an accessible north and south entrance buildings with a new passenger pick-up & drop-off area on Manchester Street
- rehabilitation of existing platforms, including snow melting systems, heated shelters, elevators, stairs and integrated platform canopies
- revisions to existing parking lot, including passenger drop-off and pick-up area, bike lanes, pedestrian walkways and bike shelters
- provisions for electrification, including grounding and bonding, and Overhead Contact System (OCS)
Expected completion is 2023.