Canadian Consulting Engineer
Ontario engineers win awards for wood structuresEngineering
The winners in the 2004 Wood Works Awards were announced late last year in Collingwood, Ontario. The awards recogni...
The winners in the 2004 Wood Works Awards were announced late last year in Collingwood, Ontario. The awards recognize innovative and environmentally sound wood-based construction and are spearheaded by the Canadian Wood Council.
Following is a list of the winning building designs by category, with the engineering firms and architects:
– Jury’s Choice (joint winners):
Timmins Library and Coalition Centre of Excellence, Timmins, Ontario. B.H. Martin Consultants. ANO Architects.
Deer Lake New K-12 School, Deer Lake First Nation, Ontario. Lavergne Draward & Associates. Smith Carter Architects and Engineers.
– Heritage: University of Waterloo School of Architecture, Cambridge, Ontario, transformation of a former silk mill. Blackwell Bowick Partnership, Levitt Goodman Architects.
– Green by Design: E’Terra, Tobermory, Ontario. Enermodal Engineering, Grant Diemert Architects.
– Commercial. The Woodsource, Ottawa. TSC Engineering. Douglas A. Dawson & Associates.
– Small Institutional: Haliburton School of the Arts, Fleming College, Haliburton, Ont. Blackwell Bowick Partnership. Diamond and Schmitt Architects.
– Large Institutional: Credit Valley Hospital Ambulatory Care Centre and Carlo Fidani Peel Regional Cancer Centre, Mississauga, Ont. Halsall Associates. Farrow Partnership Architects.
– Residential: Heathdale House, Toronto. Sigmund Soudack & Associates. Teeple Architects.
– Multi-Unit: Peel Youth Village, Mississauga, Ontario. Engineer: Peter Sheffield & Associates. Architect: Levitt Goodman Architects.
David Bowick of Blackwell Bowick Partnership of Toronto won an award as an individual engineer. He was described as “a person who consistently demonstrates innovative wood applications, making designers’ dreams a reality.”