Canadian Standards Association turns green
The revamped headquarters for the Canadian Standards Association incorporates all the latest green energy tech...
The revamped headquarters for the Canadian Standards Association incorporates all the latest green energy technologies.
The Walter Fedy Partnership of Kitchener provided the architecture, engineering and construction management services on the $14-million renovation, which was officially opened in October.
The 1954 building on Rexdale Boulevard in Toronto’s northwest has been expanded to 250,000 square feet, incorporating offices, meeting rooms, and advanced laboratories for testing and certifying gas, electric, plumbing and other products. The laboratory areas include wind machines, fuel burning stations, water tanks, and rooms that replicate extreme temperatures like the Sahara’s dry heat and the Arctic’s frigid air.
The building has rooftop PV solar panels, a wind turbine, R14 glass windows and walls, and ceramic glass spandrels that let in light while keeping out the cold.