Historical small bridge structure in Centre Wellington replaced
The Corrugated Steel Pipe Institute of Canada reports that one of Canada's oldest structural plate corrugated steel...
The Corrugated Steel Pipe Institute of Canada reports that one of Canada’s oldest structural plate corrugated steel arches was demolished and replaced recently. Located in Centre Wellington, Ontario, the structure was ironically known as the “Wood Bridge,” named after the landowner of the time, Mr. Herbert A. Wood.
The bridge was installed in 1934 during the Depression years by Canada Ingot Iron Company of Guelph. Records and notes on a surviving photograph suggest that the township paid $800 for a turnkey installation and that the consulting engineers, Wynne-Robert Son & McLean, were paid $39.40 for inspecting, plans and specifications.
The 75-year old structure has been replaced with a new structural plate corrugated steel arch. It is slightly longer than the original arch at 16.5 metres, but has the same span. The new corrugated steel is 4 mm thick compared to the original 7-mm material.
The bridge is one of 104 bridges in the township of Centre Wellington, many of which are nearing the end of their service life.
For a full article and to see some of the original documentation and photographs, see www.cspi.ca