Rendering of the Union Station Enhancement project (source: Infrastructure Ontario)
A request for proposal has been issued to two prequalified teams to design, build and finance the Union Station Enhancement project.
Announced by Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx, these infrastructure upgrades are required to help accommodate increased capacity as part of the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service, which links into Union Station as the major transit hub in the City of Toronto.
The prequalified teams are:
EllisDon Infrastructure Transit
- Constructor: EllisDon Civil Ltd.
- Designer: AECOM Canada Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital
Graham Construction Rail Solutions
- Constructor: Graham Construction & Engineering LP
- Designer: RJC Engineers
- Financial Advisor: Graham Capital Partners
The successful bidder is expected to be announced in winter 2018.
The scope of work for this Union Station Enhancement project includes:
- Replacement of four existing tracks and two narrow platforms with two new tracks and two wider platforms
- Expansion of Platform 24/25
- Construction of a new covered south platform
- Protect for level boarding
- Development of a new contiguous concourse area below, extending from York to Bay Street, providing an east-west functionality through the station.
“The new platform and concourse will help meet a growing ridership and build a truly integrated and accessible transportation system as we continue to deliver on our commitment to provide GO Regional Express Rail to thousands of commuters across the GTHA and beyond,” said Kathryn McGarry, Ontario Minister of Transportation, in a media release.