RFP issued to three teams for Hwy 401 Tunnel project
Project includes construction of a second tunnel under Highway 401/409 to accommodate two tracks, future signaling and communications infrastructure.
Amec Foster Wheeler
Dr. Sauer & Partners
Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to three shortlisted teams to design, build and finance the Highway 401 Rail Tunnel project.
Work is required at the Highway 401/409 intersection to accommodate GO Transit expansion along the Kitchener Corridor under Metrolinx’s Regional Express Rail (RER) program.
The scope of work for the project includes:
- Construction of a second tunnel under Highway 401/409 to accommodate two tracks, future signaling and communications infrastructure
- Replacing footings of retaining walls that support the ramp from eastbound Highway 409 to eastbound Highway 401
This work on the Kitchener Corridor is part of a larger, system-wide plan to improve overall GO Transit service, including the delivery of RER by 2024-25.
“We are pleased to reach yet another milestone in expanding the GO rail network to bring faster, more frequent rail service to the people of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area,” said Bruce McCuaig, President and CEO, Metrolinx in a prepared release.
The three shortlisted teams have been invited to respond to the RFP include:
- Proponent Lead: Peter Kiewit Infrastructure Co.
- Constructor: Peter Kiewit Infrastructure Co., Kenaidan Contracting Ltd., Obayashi Canada Ltd.
- Design: Hatch Corporation, Jacked Structures Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: Kiewit Canada Development Corp., TD Securities
- Proponent Lead: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc.
- Constructor: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Technicore Underground Corp.
- Design: Arup Canada Inc, Morrison Hershfield, Peto MacCallum Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc., Aecon Concessions
Toronto Tunnel Partners
- Proponent Lead: EllisDon Capital Inc, STRABAG Inc.
- Constructor: EllisDon Civil, STRABAG
- Design: WSP Canada Inc., Dr. Sauer & Partners, Amec Foster Wheeler
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc, STRABAG Inc.
“With qualified proponent teams selected for the Highway 410 Rail Tunnel, we look forward to evaluating their proposals in the coming months,” said Ehren Cory, divisional president, project delivery, Infrastructure Ontario, in the release.
A successful proponent is expected to be announced this fall.