SEMCO Introduces HVAC Industry’s First Smart Pump Module for Chilled Beam Designs
NEUTON™ chilled beam pump module offers project first-cost reductions of 35% with piping installations and 90% in loop pump energy savings.
Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2015.
SEMCO® LLC, Columbia, Mo., an energy-efficient HVAC equipment and IAQ technology leader, introduces NEUTON™, the HVAC industry’s first smart, plug-and-play controlled chilled beam pump module (CCBPM) for reducing chilled beam system installation and operational costs.
NEUTON is the industry’s first proactive condensation control device for active chilled beams. It is a factory-built and pre-tested CCBPM package complete with its own powered integrated direct digital controller, chilled and hot water connections, valves, variable-speed electronically commutated (EC) motor pumps, smart sensors and other unique features.
NEUTON’s intuitiveness eliminates the expense of a separate chiller, boiler and secondary water distribution system associated with conventional chilled beam HVAC designs. Instead of expensive secondary piping loops, each NEUTON blends and re-circulates return water within its zone to convert typical 42°F and 140°F primary loop water temperatures to optimal 58°F or 100°F chilled beam discharge temperatures. This prevents cooling mode condensation and heating season heat stratification. A NEUTON can control up to 10 chilled beams, depending upon the water flow rate required.
Using a CCBPM design versus a traditional chilled beam layout reduces job piping material/labor costs by up to 35-percent because two-pipe configurations can now provide the same heating/cooling performance as a four-pipe configuration. The main supply loop’s piping diameter can also be reduced.
NEUTON’s (208V or 230V single phase) variable speed, ECM pump motor is significantly more efficient and saves up to 90-percent energy while providing the same BTUs as larger, conventional loop pumps with two-way on/off valves. NEUTON’s valves and variable speed capability regulates flow, versus the traditional loop’s valves that simply open or close while the system’s larger, more expensive-to-operate pump runs continuously.
NEUTON simplifies specification for engineers because chilled beam sizing and their interface to dedicated outdoor air systems (DOAS) for condensation prevention and outdoor air compliance no longer requires complicated software calculations. Instead, the plug-and-play NEUTON digitally controls chilled beam and DOAS operation with strict temperature and humidity tolerances, all while compatibly communicating set points and results to the building’s central building automation system.
For contractors, the on-site installations decisions are simplified because the CCBPM supply/return piping loop take-offs are predetermined by quick-connect threaded pipe inlet/outlet sizes to prevent insufficient flow and throttling noise. Chilled beam hydronic balancing tasks are simplified and automatically addressed by NEUTON’s valves.
Additional NEUTON features include:
· Two models are available for 8-gal/min. or 11-gal/min. at 12 feet of head;
· Previous industry solutions of dual-pump mixing packages without sensors or control logic can now be bypassed;
· Optional ZS Pro sensor with displayed temperature, humidity and CO2 level readouts is available;
· Can be used with any brand of active or passive chilled beams;
· The need for an extra chiller, boiler and distribution system to supply the chilled beams and DOAS is eliminated;
· NEUTON’s Automated Logic Corp.-based software developed in-house by SEMCO engineering, is compatible with all SEMCO DOAS and building automation system (BAS) protocols. The software has passed all field tests at several beta-test sites for more than two years;
· Assigned zone control set-ups can report operation data to the BAS, which in turn, transmits control commands to the DOAS for outdoor air and humidity control;
· ECM pumps draw amperage equivalent to a 70-watt light bulb;
· and chilled beams in general, can cut fan energy costs in a building by up to 50-percent versus fan coil and variable air volume (VAV) systems.
For more information on SEMCO’s chilled beam, NEUTON and DOAS products, please visit www.semcohvac.com; email email@example.com; or call 1-573-443-1481.
About SEMCO: Since its founding in 1963 as a sheet metal fabrication company with five employees, SEMCO has built a reputation as a worldwide product innovator in the science of air movement, noise abatement, energy efficiency and indoor air quality with more than 200 employees and more than 200 manufacturer’s representatives. Major product lines include spiral metal HVAC duct, energy recovery equipment, chilled beams, and acoustics equipment. SEMCO is a Fläkt Woods company based in Columbia, Mo. SEMCO operates two manufacturing facilities: the Petit Jean and Morrilton plants in Morrilton, Ark., and a duct and acoustical products plant in Roanoke, Va. SEMCO also operates an ASHRAE 84-compliant research and development laboratory dedicated to the innovation of new products for the 21st Century and beyond. For more information, please visit www.semcohvac.com; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 1-573-443-1481.