New fire, water, smoke and sound tapes from 3M
The firestopping Fire and Water Barrier Tape provides up to 4-hour fire protection in construction joints per ASTM E1966 (UL 2079) and CAN/ULC-S115.
3M has developed two new tapes for the firestopping industry: Fire and Water Barrier Tape, and Smoke and Sound Tape.
Both tapes are the first of their kind, and contain self-adhered membranes that provide a tough, elastomeric seal. They are engineered with a pressure-sensitive adhesive that sticks to a wide variety of construction substrates, including damp surfaces, at both high and low temperatures.
Each tape is designed for specialized functionality and application.
3M Fire and Water Barrier Tape is for sealing perimeter joints (curtain wall joints) and other construction joints, as well as select through-penetration applications. This tape is recommended for areas that require both fire protection and a watertight seal. 3M Fire and Water Barrier Tape has also been engineered to prevent the transmission of smoke and sound.
3M Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape is used specifically to provide a seal against hot and cold smoke, as well as help reduce sound transmission. Building contractors can rely on this tape to provide a smoke seal for construction joints and through-penetration applications in non-fire-rated wall and floor assemblies, including smoke partitions and acoustic assemblies.
Tapes can simplify the firestop process for building contractors. As with all 3M firestop products, the two new tapes meet ASTM and NFPA requirements. They also satisfy all requirements for water, smoke and sound, keeping the project up to code and tightly sealed.
Fire and Water Barrier Tape:
- Provides up to 4-hour fire protection in construction joints per ASTM E1966 (UL 2079) and CAN/ULC-S115; up to 3-hour fire protection in perimeter joints per ASTM E2307 and CAN/ULC-S115 at the maximum extended joint width.
- Can be installed in temperatures as low as -18°C (0°F) and as high as 49°C (120°F)
- Broad temperature range when applying
- Meets UL Water Leakage Test, W-Rating— Class One requirements for systems tested and listed in accordance with ANSI/UL 1479, and and CAN/ULC-S115
- Acts as an immediate barrier to water leakage
- Up to 2-hour fire protection in through-penetration applications per ASTM E814 (UL 1479) and CAN/ULC-S115