ASHRAE 2006 Winter Meeting
December 1, 2005
By Canadian Consulting Engineer
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) will hold its Annual Winter Meeting on January 21-25, 2006 in Chicago at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel. The accom...
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) will hold its Annual Winter Meeting on January 21-25, 2006 in Chicago at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel. The accompanying AHR Expo of products and services will be at McMormick Place, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, January 23-24, and 10:00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m., Wednesday, January 25. For full details, tel. 1-800-527-4723, visit www.ashrae.org/chicago.
* Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) International Laboratory, Arlington Heights, Illinois. Sunday, January 22, 1:30-5:00 p.m.
* Chicago Center for Green Technology. Monday, January 23, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
* The John Buck Company, new 50-storey highrise. Monday, January 23, 2:20-4:30 p.m.
* Eli’s Cheesecake Factory. Tuesday, January 24, 2:00-5:00 p.m.
* Loyola University Della Strata Chapel, Tuesday, January 24, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
* Exelon pavilions, Millennium Park. Self-guided.
Sunday, January 21
* How Low Can You Go? Low-Energy Buildings through Integrated Design
* ASHRAE HQ Extreme Makeover: Modeling Techniques to Improve the Energy Performance of Existing Buildings
* Demand Response: What It Can Do for You
* Field Test Results for UV Systems
* Ground and Water Source Heat Pumps for Large Buildings and Industrial
* HVAC Related Building Systems’ Interaction with the Local Environment
* Preventing Train Wrecks in Underfloor Air Distribution Systems through Commissioning
* Design and Equipment Parameters for HVAC in Hazardous Spaces
* Impact of Eliminating Dust Spot Efficiency Testing from ASHRAE Standard 52.1
* Are HFC Systems Leaking More or Less Than Their Predecessors?
* What Guidance Should ASHRAE Provide for Reducing Multi-hazard Vulnerability?
* Radiant Systems: Back to Basics and Recent Successes
* Tenability and Risk
* CFD Applications in Cleanroom Designs
* Chilled Water Systems: Lessons Learned
* Design of Natural and Mixed Mode Ventilation Systems in Commercial Buildings
* Infection Control by Using Proper Solutions
* Noise and Vibration Control Prescriptions for Health Care Systems
* Outsourcing O&M: Boom or Bust
* Test and Balance Specification: What Should It Contain?
* What Controls Modeling Capabilities are Needed for Energy Simulations
* Service Hot Water Demand: Then, Now and Now What?
* Application of Inverse Models
* Case Studies in Underfloor Air Distribution Systems
* Challenges in Gas Combustion Turbine Inlet Cooling
* Hot Presentations about Cold Topics
* Innovative Benefits of Humidification
* Knowledge-Base on Energy Performance of U.S. Buildings
* First Time at an ASHRAE Meeting? This Seminar Is for You!
* Green Design and Sustainability: Un-Definable Success in a Defined World
* Changes in Codes and Standards: What Do We Need to Know?
* Economic Justification for O&M
* Should ASHRAE Develop a Position Document on HFCs?
* What’s New in HVAC Acoustics?
* Back to Basics: Compressors
* Owning and Operating Costs of Temporary and Permanent HVAC Equipment During Construction
* Project Green Light: the Business Case for Green; You Can Do Well While Doing Good
* Public Interest Session on ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise
* TES Outside the U.S.: International Applications of Thermal Energy Storage
Monday, January 23
* Thermal Modeling of Phase Change Materials in Building Envelopes: Old Problem, New Developments
* HVAC&R Journal Seminar
* Integrating Design with Risk Assessment in Labs: Successes and Failures
* Liability Issues for Design Professionals and Equipment Manufacturers in Meeting the Seismic/Wind Requirements of the IBC
* Load Calculations: The New Handbook Chapters
* Selection and Application of VAV Terminal Units
* Using DDC Controls to Manage Resources for Green Buildings
* Variable Flow in Chilled Water Systems, Benefits and Controls
* Is Real-time Biological Monitoring for Cooling Water Systems Feasible?
* Can One Reach Performance Testing Nirvana by Moving from ASHRAE 16 and 58 to ISO 5151?
* Demand Response Strategies for Building Systems
* Latest Findings in Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Research
* Advances in Refrigeration Technology
* Applying Displacement Ventilation to Various Commercial Building Types
* Factors Affecting Rainwater Penetration through Residential Assemblies: Laboratory and Field Experience
* Issues Update: How Government Advocacy Can Impact ASHRAE, Our Members and the HVAC&R Industry
* Real Energy and Economic Outcomes from CHP Plants
* What is the Basis for the Ventilation Rates in ANSI/ ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2004?
* How to Take Laboratory Classifications to the Next Step
* Improving Fan Systems’ Energy Efficiency
Public Session: Integrated Building Design in Tall Buildings
Tuesday, January 24
* High Density Cooling Issues Update: January 2006
* Managing Return Air in Residential and Small Commercial Buildings
* Basics of the Cold Chain: Follow a Chicken from Slaughter to Grocery Cart
* Designing for Dehumidification and Mould Avoidance
* Fire and Smoke Control Hardware: Back to Basics
* How and Why to Calibrate a Simulation to Measured Data
* Interactions of the Montreal and Kyoto Protocols: Findings of the IPCC/TEAP Special Report on Ozone Depletion and Global Warming
* Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG): Opportunities and Challenges for Our Energy Supply
* What Are the Barriers to Using Air-to-Air Energy Recovery for Sustainable HVAC Systems?
* Issues Related to UV Application in the HVAC Community
* Mission Critical Facilities: Issues and Roadmap
* Thermal Storage Systems Aging Gracefully
* Legionella Control and Preventing Legionellosis
* A Specification Guide to HVAC: Test, Adjust and Balance
* Application and Experiences with the New Simulation Software
* Codes and Standards Affecting Refrigerated Commercial Display Cases and Storage Cases
* Design and Application of Brazed and Welded Plate-Type Heat Exchangers in the HVAC&R Industries
* High Performance Buildings Using Geothermal Heat Pumps
* Lubricants and Issues for Alternative Refrigerants
* I Never Promised You a Rose Garden: Green Building Performance Expectations and Contract Compliance
* Wireless Sensing and Control: Where Is It Needed and What Should It Control?
11:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
* Poster Session: Presentation of 21 ASHRAE technical papers by poster.
Wednesday, January 25
* Recent Advances in Simulation
* System Chemistry and Contaminants Research
* The Energy Design Process for High Performance Buildings
* Best Practice for Minimizing the Occurrence of System Freeze-ups
* Ethics and Business Management in International Construction
* Experimental and CFD Benchmark Studies of Indoor Air Flow around Thermal Manikins
* Industrial Ventilation Systems Component Selection and Design
* Load Management: Why You Should Care and What Technology Is Emerging
* Soft Cake Yet Not Crusted: Humidity Control and Measurement Challenges and New Technologies at Room, Low and High Temperature Ranges
* How Can Hybrid 100% Outside Air Systems Improve?
* Current Status of Solar Thermal Technologies for Heating and Cooling
* Designing Building Automation Systems with IT Security in Mind
* Do ASHRAE Test Methods Reflect Real-Life Air Filtration?
* Facility Protection from Natural and Intentional Events
* Lessons Learned from Hurricane Recovery
* Variable Frequency Drives in Industrial Refrigeration
* A Look Forward to 2020 for Small Forced-Air Heating and Cooling Systems
* ASHRAE Publications: From Codes to Fundamentals, What Should ASHRAE Publish?
* Will the New 13 SEER Efficiency Standard Make A/C Systems More Susceptible or Less Susceptible to Field Problems?
* Refrigerant Impurities: Do They Matter?
* What’s Missing in Chapter 40, Electric Motors and Control?
* Window/Wall Interface: What Are the Critical Issues?