WSP wins Schreyer at 51st annual Canadian Consulting Engineering AwardsEngineering ACEC AE Associated Engineering Canadian Consulting Engineering Awards carbon capture CIMA+ clean water DIALOG Drinking Water Entuitive evolv1 Flood mitigation Golder Hatch hydroelectric ISL Engineering Johnson Street Bridge KGS Group Morrison Hershfield New Central Library Quasar Consulting Group Schreyer Award SNC-Lavalin Stantec Stephenson Engineering Tetra Tech wastewater WSP WZMH Architects
The 51st annual Canadian Consulting Engineering Awards Gala took place on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at the Delta Ottawa City Centre hotel, with the top prize—the Schreyer Award—going to WSP for its Solving Small Community Drinking Water Challenge project.
The awards program is jointly produced by Canadian Consulting Engineer magazine and the Association of Consulting Engineering Companies – Canada (ACEC). Each year, the Schreyer recognizes the project that best demonstrates technical excellence and innovation. WSP’s effort, which aims to deliver clean water to communities across Canada and around the world, was so inspiring to this year’s jury, it also won the Outreach Award.
Meanwhile, the Tree for Life Award for demonstrating outstanding environmental stewardship went to Morrison Hershfield for the Kaliti Wastewater Treatment Plant project in Ethiopia.
Other top honours this year include the Engineering a Better Canada Award, which was presented to Entuitive for its contributions to Calgary’s landmark New Central Library, and the Ambassador Award for projects outside Canada, which recognized COWI’s work on the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge in New York, N.Y.
These four entries were singled out for the five highest honours from among the Top 20 Award of Excellence winners, the other 16 of which are listed below.
- Royal Alberta Museum – Dialog.
- Transformation of the Wilder Building – SNC-Lavalin and Bouthillette Parizeau.
- Evolv1 – Stantec.
- Cloudraker Skybridge and Raven’s Eye – Morrison Hershfield.
- Development of the New Route 112 – Norda Stelo and SNC-Lavalin.
- Johnson Street Bridge Replacement – WSP.
- Bridging the Hydrometric Modelling Data Gap, Lake Huron – Golder.
- Calgary Zoo Flood Mitigation – ISL Engineering and Associated Engineering (AE).
- Shedding UV Light on Greater Vernon’s Water System – WSP.
- CO2 Capture and Valorization – BBA Montreal.
Natural resources, mining, industry and energy
- Place des Canotiers – CIMA+ and Tetra Tech.
- Mechanized River Valley Access – Dialog.
- Intelligent Structural Panel – Quasar Consulting Group, WZMH Architects, Stephenson Engineering and C3PoE.
- Livestock and Forage Centre of Excellence – AE Saskatoon.
Also at the gala, ACEC presented its 2019 Beaubien Award to François Plourde, P.Eng., for his lifetime of contributions to consulting engineering and the 2020 Allen D. Williams Scholarship to Nicholas C. Kaminsky, P.Eng., PMP, of KGS Group.
For more details about all of the winners, watch for the October/November 2019 issue of Canadian Consulting Engineer magazine. And throughout November, be sure to follow the #20DaysofExcellence in engineering campaign on Twitter and at www.acec.ca/20daysofexcellence to see videos of the winning projects and to learn more about the impact of consulting engineering on quality of life.
Print this page