Canadian Consulting Engineer

SNC-Lavalin forms partnership with Yukon First Nations

Montreal mega-firm SNC-Lavalin is proclaiming a "new era" in relationships between private business and First Natio...

April 7, 2003   Canadian Consulting Engineer

Montreal mega-firm SNC-Lavalin is proclaiming a “new era” in relationships between private business and First Nations. The consulting engineering and construction firm has signed a contract with four Yukon First Nations development corporations to create Epcom Resources Limited.
The partnership will likely encourage First Nations to develop the rich natural resources on their lands. SNC-Lavalin will lend First Nations their expertise, and in turn SNC-Lavalin will likely have more options to bid on projects in aboriginal communities. According to federal government policy, projects on First Nations lands are often reserved for companies which are predominantly First-Nations owned.
The four First Nations involved in the partnership are the Kluane, Kwanlin Dun, Ta’an Kwachan and White River. They will own 51% of Epcom Resources and the remaining 49% will be owned by the private sector partners. The latter includes ACR International Systems and MacMillan Mining Contractors as well as SNC-Lavalin.
“Epcom offers First Nations an exciting and unique opportunity to play a leading role in economic development opportunities in the Yukon,” said Ruth Massie, President of 35403 Yukon, the newly created First Nations Corporation in a press release. “Our hope is that the jobs and economic opportunities that will flow from this agreement will help facilitate and build stronger ties between our governments and the private sector.
“This is an excellent opportunity for all parties,” said Michael Novak, executive vice president of SNC-Lavalin, one of Canada’s two publicly-traded consulting engineering companies. “The combination of the various member organizations’ expertise will increase the overall marketability of Epcom.”


Print this page

Related Stories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*