Canadian Consulting Engineer
“Perpetual Pavement” wins Consulting Engineers of Ontario AwardEngineering
The Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa, Consulting Engineers of Ontario (CEO) presented its special Willis Ch...
The Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa, Consulting Engineers of Ontario (CEO) presented its special Willis Chipman Award to Golder Associates for the Perpetual Pavement used on the Red Hill Valley Parkway, in Hamilton, Ontario. The parkway runs along the Red Hill Valley Creek and is 7.5 kilometres long.
Golder did the feasibility study and the detailed design of the road pavement, including the project specifications and asphalt quality assurance.
The Willis Chipman Award is given to a project that best demonstrates the important contribution of consulting engineering to the economic, social and environmental quality of life in Ontario.
The Wallis Chipman Award is chosen from all entries and categories. Meanwhile, three Awards of Excellence were given. These are chosen according to firm size, divided into three categories:
– Tenova Goodfellow Inc. for Achieving Dynamic EAF Control at TenarisDalmine, Italy Using Goodfellow EFSOP® Technology (firm with 1-25 employees). The EFSOP technology harmonized the operation of all the furnace equipment, resulting in $1.5 million in energy savings per annum.
– Blackwell Bowick Partnership Limited. The Madoc Performing Arts Centre, Sir Sanford Fleming College (firm with 26 to 100 employees). Structural innovations used in the southern Ontario building included cement-lime plastered straw bale walls and columns, compressed earth bag foundations, and lime help foundations.
– MTE Consultants Inc.. Joseph and Gaukel St. Reconstruction and Environmental Remediation for City of Kitchener (firm with 101+ employees). The project included replacing municipal services and roads in the downtown area, environmental remediation of extensive coal tar contamination, and developing a grand entrance to a park.
Awards of Merit were given by project type (not according to firm size) as follows:
– Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.
20 Gothic Avenue Condominiums, Toronto (building science and engineering)
– Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd.
Gaining Real-time Control of Surface Water and Treatment, for Vale Inco mining complex, Greater Sudbury (environment)
– TWD Technologies Ltd.
“Green Energy Getting Greener,” optimization of biodiesel facility for Sanimax in De Forest, Wisconsin (industry, energy and resources)
– WorleyParsons Canada Ltd., M&M Toronto Division
Mufulira Smelter Upgrade Phase II – Fire Refining & Casting Plant EPCM Services for Mopani Copper Mines, Zambia, Africa (project management)
– Hatch with MOBEC Engineering
Development of a National Dam Safety Standard for Parks Canada (studies and research)
– Delcan Corporation
iMove® – Metro Vancouver’s New Integrated, Multi-Modal Web Portal for Traveller Information, for Translink (transportation)