Alberta’s first LEED v4 project: WSP Calgary’s office fit out
WSP has achieved, or is predicted to achieve, strong results for energy and water efficiency, and waste diversion in its new office space.
WSP recently consolidated its Calgary offices into a single space spanning five floors and 100,000 sq. ft. at Fifth Avenue Place in the downtown core. Showcasing the company’s commitment to supporting the growth of a healthier and more sustainable society, the new office fit-out has qualified as Alberta’s first project to certify under the LEED v4 rating system, receiving ID+C Silver certification.
With its LEED v4 Silver certification, WSP has achieved, or is predicted to achieve, strong results for energy and water efficiency, and waste diversion, including:
- 100% of anticipated energy use offset by renewable energy certificates, or RECs (for electricity) and carbon offsets (for natural gas) for five years.
- 96% of equipment and appliances are ENERGY STAR certified.
- 87% of construction waste diverted from landfill.
- 48% lighting power density reduction versus ASHRAE 90.1-2010, with 82 per cent and 34 per cent of lighting controlled by vacancy and daylight sensors, respectively.
- 31% calculated water savings versus LEED baseline.
In addition, through a detailed research and material selection vetting process in collaboration with the interior designer and the construction team, the design team was able to achieve several of the more rigorous LEED v4 Materials & Resources credits: Environmental Product Declarations (Option 1); Sourcing of Raw Materials (Option 2); Material Ingredients (Option 1); and Low-Emitting Materials (compliance in five categories).