Specific sustainability features will include:
- LED lighting and intelligent controls, reducing lighting energy consumption by 70%
- alternative battery cell (lithium) to reduce overall power consumption at the site
- refrigeration systems using environmentally-preferable CFC-free carbon dioxide (CO2)
- HVAC system designed to reclaim heat rejected from the refrigeration system to heat offices and radiant under floor heating
- use of electric Walmart fleet vehicles travelling to and from the facility
The new facility will deliver fresh produce and frozen grocery to 60 stores throughout B.C., providing better access to grocery items for Walmart Canada’s stores in the province. It will also reduce the company’s long-haul trips reducing its carbon footprint.