Milton District hospital expansion completeBuildings hospital PCL Constructors Canada (Toronto) Smith + Andersen WSP Canada
“Achieving total completion within seven months of substantial completion on a project of this scope speaks volumes about the collaboration and respect exhibited by all partners.”
PCL Constructors Canada Inc. (Toronto) has announced the completion of the Milton District Hospital expansion project, signifying that all construction activities have been completed.
“The Milton District Hospital expansion project is a case study for design-build excellence,” says PCL Toronto district manager Kelly Wallace. “Achieving total completion within seven months of substantial completion on a project of this scope speaks volumes about the collaboration and respect exhibited by all partners, which was a critical success factor in achieving this tremendous outcome for the people of Milton.”
The project achieved substantial completion in April 2017 and Halton Healthcare began providing patient care in the new space on October 1, 2017.
“The partnership that came together to build the expansion at Milton District has set a new standard for hospital construction and design in Ontario,” explains Bill Bailey, vice president of redevelopment, Halton Healthcare. “Not only was construction completed on-time and on-budget, construction deficiencies that remained after substantial completion were addressed quickly, enabling the project to reach final completion within seven months of substantial completion. This is an incredible achievement.”
Ensuring the existing Milton District Hospital could continue to serve the community during construction was key to the success of the expansion, which was built to meet the increasing care needs of one of Canada’s fastest growing communities, and to accommodate new technology.
“Reaching final completion demonstrates another significant milestone for the Milton District Hospital project. Plenary remains incredibly proud of the collaborative working relationship we have with all the project partners, and we look forward to participating in the ongoing success of this facility,” said Angela Clayton, Plenary Group’s head, Buildings Division.
Valued at $512 million, the expansion adds 330,000 sq. ft. of space to the existing 125,000 sq. ft. hospital, new features include:
- Expanded emergency and surgical services, medical/surgical inpatient units, critical care, maternal newborn and diagnostic imaging, and support services;
- An overall capacity increase from 63 to 129 inpatient beds; 80% single-patient rooms for improved infection prevention and control, and to provide increased patient privacy and a quieter healing environment;
- The addition of the hospital’s first MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) machine;
- A Level 2A Special Care Nursery with capacity for eight bassinettes in the Maternal Newborn Unit;
- Sustainable building strategy targeting LEED Silver certification.
- Owner: Halton Healthcare
- Project sponsor, equity investor, and financial arranger: Plenary Group
- Design-Builder: PCL Constructors Canada Inc. (Toronto)
- Facilities Management: Johnson Controls
- Architect: B+H Architects and RTKL Associates
- Mechanical/Electrical Consultant: Smith and Andersen
- Structural Consultant: WSP