Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, has released The Way Forward: A Multi-Year Plan for Infrastructure Investments, outlining commitments to education, health, buildings and roads, and municipal infrastructure through an investment of nearly $3 billion.
The plan includes the following investments over the next five years:
- $688.2 million for transportation infrastructure which includes roads, bridges and marine infrastructure;
- $553.9 million on major health care projects and repairs and maintenance;
- $461.1 million, in partnership with the Federal Government, for municipal infrastructure including buildings, recreation facilities, local roads, and water and wastewater projects;
- $210 million for construction of new schools, extensions and renovations, and repairs and maintenance of school facilities;
- $86.5 million for repair, maintenance and modernization of affordable housing units; and
- $85.9 million for post-secondary education facilities.
“The Way Forward: A Multi-Year Plan for Infrastructure Investments fulfils our commitment to make a multi-year infrastructure plan publicly available. The plan ensures investments in priority areas with over $3 billion committed for new and existing schools, health care facilities, roads and bridges, municipal infrastructure, affordable housing and justice facilities,” said Ball in a release.
The plan also commits over $750 million for projects to be identified under Phase II of Canada’s New Infrastructure Plan. It will be updated annually to reflect emerging priorities and released in advance of that year’s budget.